Shared OSD Service for KDE

Ozan Çağlayan ozan at pardus.org.tr
Thu May 13 07:09:19 BST 2010

13 May 2010 Perşembe günü (saat 01:21:42) Aaron J. Seigo şunları yazmıştı:
> On May 12, 2010, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > have a windowed OSD with a destinct window type KWin can recognize and
> > provide the required functionality.
>
> fair 'nuff, so to recap, we're currently at this design then:
>
> * OSD as a notification type in KNotify
>
> * a "well known" OSD D-BUs interface (org.kde.osd? could eventually be
> org.freedesktop.osg ...)
>
> * if the D-Bus interface is registered, KNotify would send OSD requests to
> it
>
> * if the D-Bus interface isn't registerd, KNotify registers it and provides
> a window based OSD service
>
> basically, this means taking Ozan's OSD kded plugin as it currently exists
> and integrating it into KNotify instead. Ozan: what do you think of that?

I'm okay with that. I looked through KNotify code a little bit and it seems
that it doesn't support per-event icons but instead global icons within each
.knotifyrc file. If it doesn't exist in trunk/kdelibs too, it should be first
implemented to render different icons on volumeUp/volumeDown, etc.

And also, GNOME provides a nice and short feedback sound when sound is
increased/decreased through keyboard so that the user can decide the
appropriate volume level. This should be trivial through KNotify with just
something like Action=Sound|OSD.

Seen that this will be scheduled for 4.6, I can try to morph the current code
into a KNotifyPlugin. If I don't succeed at all, I'll try to gather some help
from here.

Thanks.

---
Ozan Çağlayan