Shared OSD Service for KDE

Martin Gräßlin ubuntu at martin-graesslin.com
Wed May 12 22:53:55 BST 2010

Am Mittwoch 12 Mai 2010 20:59:25 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On May 12, 2010, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 12. Mai 2010, 17:49:18 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > > what if we put the OSD display into kwin? then, at least when
> > > compositing is on, kwin could display the OSD without actually
> > > creating a new window, just be painting it directly using a composite
> > > plugin?
> >
> > That won't work because KWin disables compositing when a window is in
> > fullscreen mode (this "unredirecting" massively speeds up rendering of
> > fullscreen videos, for example).
>
> ah, right .. well, good old fashioned windows it is then :)
in fact the one does not imply the other. When there is a window on top of the
fullscreen window kwin will redirect the fullscreen window and we can do the
same in an effect, it just needs to be implemented.

In general I do not like the idea to handle OSD in KWin as it is a workspace
related component that belongs to Plasma. I do not mind if we add an effect
Plasma triggers. And if we want to use pixmaps instead of windows that's
probably also possible, but we should not design our OSD to circumvent issues
with proprietary Flash. If it is annoying, people might start using something
real to watch their youtube videos. So I'd prefer to have a windowed OSD with
a destinct window type KWin can recognize and provide the required
functionality.

Martin