Shared OSD Service for KDE

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed May 12 16:49:18 BST 2010

On May 12, 2010, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 of May 2010, John Tapsell wrote:
> > Whatever the solution for the OSD, please check how it works for
> > things like full screen flash.  When watching a youtube video etc in
> > fullscreen and then scrolling the mouse wheel, the OSD popup causes
> > flash to quit fullscreen mode.
>
>  It's going to work like everything else with Flash - poorly. The
> fullscreen handling in Flash is lame, anything new showing up will cancel
> it, and I doubt we can do anything about it.

here's a craaaazy idea:

what if we put the OSD display into kwin? then, at least when compositing is
on, kwin could display the OSD without actually creating a new window, just be
painting it directly using a composite plugin?

in the non-compositing case, then it could fallback to a regular window?

this would result in something like:

* OSD as a notification type in KNotify
* a "well known" OSD D-BUs interface
* if the D-Bus interface is registered, KNotify would send OSD requests to it
* if it doesn't exist, then it just pops up a regular notification (or
whatever)
* KWin would register this D-Bus interface when started if it isn't already
taken and then provide the actual OSD painting

would that work?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se