Proposal: D-Bus service to watch user activity (for IM messaging away and so on)

Josef Spillner spillner at kde.org
Tue May 4 09:09:21 BST 2010

Am Montag, 3. Mai 2010 19:17:12 schrieb Markus:
> Is there also any notification currently for suspends? Then Kopete,
> Konversation, KMess,... could disconnect first.

Combining auto-away features with suspends is the most terrible idea I've seen
in recent times. While working on a Kubuntu 9.10 laptop in battery mode, I was
copying a USB image to a stick, when suddenly a message appeared that the
system would suspend in 10 seconds due to inactivity. Despite generating some
xinput events with mouse and keyboard, it still did this and forcefully
interrupted the copying process. The secondary negative effects range from bad
reputation on KDE (when this happens in public, especially when Xorg freezes
on resume) to potential hardware damages with cheap controllers.

There are lessons to learn from this incident for developers:
The concept of "inactivity" is very fuzzy, not restricted to desktop events at
all and probably not supported through all layers of the system. At the very
minimum, this should be defined by some fd.o activity with input from OS
people. At a broader scope, KDE does have HIG guidelines but it doesn't have
user control guidelines, i.e. to which extent a user is able to oversee and
influence automatisms like power management, package update thingies which
randomly show up in systray and disappear shortly after without RMB menu to
disable etc.

Due to these wide implications I'm posting here instead of just filing some
bug reports.

Josef