Events Plasma Runner in kdereview

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 25 17:03:53 GMT 2010

On Friday 29 Jan 2010 21:27:52 Alexey Noskov wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I've just commited plasma-events-runner into kdereview.
>
> It's a Plasma Runner plugin, which provides ability to add new events or
> todos to calendar. It supports typing events such as following:
>
> * `event Project deadline; 13.02.2010` - create new event with summary
> "Project deadline" for 13.02.2010;
> * `todo Complete my work; tomorrow 12:30; Business` - create todo with
> given summary and deadline datetime with category "Business";
> * `event Something; 13:30` - something at 13:30 today;
> * `event Other event; yesterday`
> * `todo Buy new phone; in 2 years`
> * `todo Complete site design; in 2 days from 10:30`
>
> Waiting for your comments.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexey Noskov

Just noticed this one, sorry.  I'll leave it to the PIM guys to comment on the
Akonadi stuff, and the Plasma guys as to the architecture (should there be a
data engine? should this be made 2-way first), I'll just comment with my
Calendar System maintainers hat on.

A number of issues:
1) No copyright/license headers, please add
2) Lots of stray spaces on empty lines, please remove
3) Date formats:
* No localisation of input date/time format and names, I see more formats can
be added in your date parser class, but you need to do so using KLocale and
giving preference to the users default formats.
* You should try use KLocale and KCalendarSystem to read/write/manipulate
localised dates/times.  Only use QDate methods when talking to Akonadi or as
an interchange standard where you know it needs Gregorian calendar.
* Have you tested timezones are handled correctly?
* If you must pass dates around as strings, then please do so in the
unambiguous ISO 8601 format "YYYY-MM-DD" to prevent confusion and error.  In
fact, the whole date/time string I'd recommend to be in RFC 3339 internet
format which is unambiguous and includes timezone.

Cheers!

John.