D-Bus API description to include dox?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Mar 22 15:46:09 GMT 2010

Em Segunda-feira 22 Março 2010, às 16:19:22, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
escreveu:
> Hi Will,
>
> Lundi, le 22 mars 2010, à 15:44, Will Stephenson a écrit:
> > On Monday 22 March 2010 13:36:58 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > > doing the KRemoteControl review I wonder why there is no API dox
> > > considered for the D-Bus introspection, one has to guess the semantics
> > > of all the methods and parameters.
> > >
> > > Should we extend the dtd to include that? Anyone with insider knowledge
> > > how to get this best done? Can we at KDE at least start to do so, by
> > > using comment sections (<!-- -->) in the api.xml file?
> >
> > One way to do it is used by telepathy and (after yours truly ported the
> >
> >  docu generation from telepathy) NetworkManager.  It uses namespaced xml
> >  elements in the dbus introspection and some XSLT magic to transform that
> >
> >  into HTML documentation.  Examples:
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/docs/Makef
> > il e.am
> >
> >  http://cgit.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/tree/introspec
> >  ti
> >
> > on/nm- manager.xml
>
> Nice. Something like this should be official for the D-Bus API spec. Has
> there been some discussion of that already?

I think someone brought this up, some 2 or 3 years ago.

It never went anywhere.

Besides, it's an XML namespace. It doesn't have to be part of the
introspection spec.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358