[Kde-games-devel] kajongg in kdereview since 1 month

Wolfgang Rohdewald wolfgang at rohdewald.de
Wed Mar 17 16:49:44 GMT 2010

On Mittwoch 17 März 2010, Parker Coates wrote:
> So I guess we have 2 options:
>
> 1. Check for the presence of these libraries at configure-time
> with CMake and skip building Kajonng if they are not found.

I will try to write some CMake makro "FindPythonTwisted"

> 2. Add a runtime check for these libraries by trying to import
> them and catching any ImportErrors raised, then showing a
> nice friendly dialog explaining why Kajonng is about to
> gracefully shut down.

that is actually already in place, only twisted was not
checked for. I also made the message a little bit better to
understand. See the beginning of playfield.py

However this should only happen if you install from source,
something an ordinary user normally does not do. Otherwise
I expect the package kajongg to define all dependencies, so
it cannot be installed without zope.interface being there.

> I honestly don't know which one makes more sense, but I know
> uncaught ImportErrors are not an acceptable means of
> notifying the user that some dependencies are missing.

Python projects in KDE are rather rare, so there might not
yet be standards. I often looked at guidance-power-manager,
also Python, and that one does not catch import errors
either.

--
Wolfgang