KCM icons, krunner and consistency

Jacopo De Simoi wilderkde at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 23:14:02 GMT 2010

> On Sunday 07 March 2010 15:55:05 Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
> > Browsing .desktop files of KCMs you can notice that there is no common
> > convention; some of them use "xxx Configuration", some others "Configure
> > xxx", others "xxx settings", others "xxx". It would be nice to fix a rule
> > and stick to it, what do you think?
>
> What about imposing just 'xxx' in the desktop file and adding "Configuration"
> or similar by "hand"? We'd have to ask the i18n teams if this does create any
> problems though...

That's precisely what I wanted to avoid by providing the "configure" emblem on the icon in krunner.
That should be a good enough (and i18n-safe) approach to the problem. Moreover, since icons would be drawn by the oxygen people and not written by a random developer, we could have better control on the fact that kcm icons should not contain by themselves any "configuration" hint. And I would make this policy as strong as the one on the .desktop files comments; after all we are talking about the same issue, only with a different visual representation.

Regards
__J