Git Migration Needs YOU!

Till Adam till at kdab.com
Thu Mar 4 13:12:40 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 02 March 2010 16:46:21 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On March 2, 2010, Till Adam wrote:
> > Not to spoil the party here, but for kdepim, we see a few more blockers
> > for a migration to git. Before I explain them, let me make one thing very
> > clear:
>
> to summarize without going into answering your queries (others are better
>  for that than me ;):
>
> 	you are asking for the move to happen no sooner than 6 weeks from now.
>
> is that correct? if so, can you offer a firm commitment to that time frame
> from the kdepim side? e.g. if there was an April 15th deadline (to pick a
> number out of a hat), the kdepim team could commit to that?

Certainly not :). More below.

> the reason i ask: i'm trying to pin down a firm schedule here, something
>  which simply has not been happening to date and which has removed our
>  ability to execute. that schedule needs to take "everyone" into
>  consideration, it needs to be as accurate as possible and it also needs to
>  be as aggressive as it can be.

I totally agree that this needs a schedule, and a firm and accurate one. I also
partially agree that that schedule should be aggressive. Partially, because we
need to make sure we are not aggressive to the point of harming our goals for
4.5, our friends  up- and down-stream and our commercial ecosystem. The latter
is possibly more of a concern for PIM than elsewhere in KDE, as we have such
an ecosystem and have had it in place for a while, which means there are more
people relying on our current ways of working who are not tightly in tune with
KDE than elsewhere in our project. They need to be heard, or at least given a
chance to have input on the time line. That input needs to be collected, which
I'm happy to facilitate. That is ongoing, at least in the Kolab realm, which I
can reach.

> also, can you nominate someone from the kdepim community who can act as the
> git migration liaison to offer direction on things like the module
>  splitting as well as get communication between kdepim and the git miration
>  team flowing as needed?
>
> (in a more-perfect world, someone from the kdepim community would be
>  working on the merge rules for kdepim. :)

I'm very thankful that Torgny and Ingo have volunteered to help with this.
We'll also nominate someone from the KDAB team to liaise with them, make sure
our concerns are given due consideration (as I have no doubt they will) and
help out as much as possible.

As for the actual time line, the 6 weeks I mentioned are an effort estimate,
not a wall clock time one. We cannot just drop everything and start attacking
that particular issue, there are many other things to do, most notably making
kdepim trunk usable again, so that more people can help out with testing and
fixing it, so we can get it into shape for 4.5, but also project commitments
and constraints. Since nearly all of the KDAB kdepimsters are currently in a
project sprint meeting, I won't get a chance to discuss possible time lines
with them until next week. Unfortunately (for this discussion, not for me ;) I
will be in Brasil then, speaking about Akonadi on mobile devices at Bossa
conference. I would thus like to ask that we get a chance to suggest a time
line that works for KDAB wrt our ongoing projects and external commitments,
discuss it with the wider PIM community, and then commit to it, which will
likely take all of next week easily. 6 weeks from now as an earliest possible
move date is definitely totally out of the question, I'm afraid. :/

As to the other issues raised in my first mail in this thread, I'm happy to see
the translations problem addressed, but we're still quite unsure especially
when it comes to how to structure our work flows to allow for relatively
painless merging between modules/branches, etc. Who would be a good person or
group to discuss this with? Do the gitorious guys have experience with these
things? I imagine so. Can they be made to help us do the right thing,
procedurally here? If they need to get paid to do that, I'm sure we can find a
way to make that possible too. I guess we should take that part of the
discussion to the scm list, though. Repeating the request for help here mostly
to motivate those in the know to approach the PIM team and shed some light on
these things, if they can.

Thanks to everyone working on this for their consideration of our (KDAB's and
KDEPIM's) needs, and thanks to Aaron for showing much needed leadership on
this issue.

Till