Git Migration Needs YOU!

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Mar 2 21:37:27 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 02 March 2010, Chani wrote:
> On March 2, 2010 11:24:28 Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> > > yes, it was badly specified with more enthusiasm than planning, and
> > > we've been quietly ignoring it for a while now. :/ I was planning to
> > > bring that up at the next meeting: either remove it from the wiki and
> > > say "use kdesvn-build", or get someone to just go and write a
> > > computer-readable list of repos and see if anyone starts using it. (I
> > > think the former makes the most sense at this point - who besides you
> > > and me actually wants that list? I'll probably just make my scripts use
> > > scripty's repo list anyways)
> >
> > That's this, right ?
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/MovetoGit#Script_for_downloading_virtual
> >_K DE_hierarchies:
> >
> > Script for downloading virtual KDE hierarchies
> > 0% completed (estimate)
> >
> > Owner:
> > what we already have: two build scripts for kde; kdesvn-build and
> > build-tool. what we want: an easy way for people to get large chunks of
> > kde, without thinking about what urls the repos come from or having to
> > look things up. do kde-svnbuild and build-tool satisfy this well enough?
> > or do we want a computer-readable file listing all the repos too?
> > btw, scripty has its own list of repos already. it's just in a rather
> > weird bash file.
> > Links [1] Projects/MovetoGit/MassCloneScript [2]
> >

> > What does "large chunks of kde" mean ?
>
> something like extragear/multimedia. or all of extragear. or all of KDE/
>
> > All (current) modules at once ?
> > Maybe CMake's external_project() feature in CMake >= 2.8.0 can do this ?
> > Documentation can be found here:
> > http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html#module:ExternalProjec
> >t and page 10 of
> > http://www.kitware.com/products/archive/kitware_quarterly1009.pdf
> >
> > Basically you say something like the following:
> > ExternalProject_Add(
> >   CMake-2-6-4
> >   CVS_REPOSITORY :pserver:anonymous:cmake@
> >     www.cmake.org:/cvsroot/CMake
> >   CVS_MODULE CMake
> >   CVS_TAG -r CMake-2-6-4
> >   CMAKE_ARGS -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=<INSTALL_DIR>
> >   )
> >
> > This then checks out the sources from the given SCM, configures and
> > builds it. git is supported too, AFAIK.
> >
> > Alex
>
> interesting. I wonder if a git repo containing such files could be useful.
> but does it support non-anonymous checkouts? hmm, with gitorious' syntax it
> probably could...
>
> but looking at that first link, I only see support for cvs and svn, not
> git. :/ or are you supposed to use DOWNLOAD_COMMAND?

Not sure, I just used it last weekend for a small already-locally-existing
subproject. cmake just switched to git itself...
Still ExternalProject.cmake
(http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=blob;f=Modules/ExternalProject.cmake;h=0302d5c4b3041a5c0fb1ce2e8028cfcd0e3de761;hb=HEAD)
doesn't mention git yet.
But I guess it should be possible to add support for git to that.

Somebody who is better with git than I am might have a look :-)

Alex