Git Migration Needs YOU!

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Mar 2 13:16:32 GMT 2010

Em Terça-feira 02 Março 2010, às 11:29:24, Eike Hein escreveu:
> > Thiago mentioned that kdepimlibs is a new module, and thus does not need
> > any work, but that's not true, as all of that code has a long running
> > and valuable history all the way back to the cvs days. Which was, so
> > far, retained.
>
> Yeah, tracking moves like that, as well as things like apps
> moving from playground into kdereview and then finally a mo-
> dule, is why Thiago's old ruleset if woefully incomplete and
> why writing the rules files is such a mammoth task (and will
> need the cooperation and collaboration from actual develop-
> ers on the respective codebases to make certain decisions
> at times, etc.)

The old rules file did track moves correctly from playground to review and from
review to extragear.

It did not and doesn't intend to track moves from review into the main
modules. There's a history cut there.

To do it properly, the entire conversion process needs to be done in two
phases, which basically means either writing a post-processing tool (my
"fixups" idea, see mail titled "Braindump: fixups" dated 2008-07-19) or
refactoring the tool completely.

As for the kdepim / kdepimlibs split and history tracking, no, that wasn't
intended either. It will be very hard to continue that in Git, though not
impossible. It might be possible to graft the kdepim pre-KDE 4 history onto a
clean kdepimlibs import, so that Git knows where the code came from, so it can
continue to do the merging.

In the normal case, I recommend people do not move or rename files if they
intend to do merges. Git can follow renames, but sometimes it gets lost if
there are too many files (it's an O(n²) operation, so for 37k files like there
are in Qt, the operation balloons to 1.3 billion comparisons, unless you
impose limits)

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358