Time traveling applications

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Tue Jun 29 13:13:19 BST 2010

John,

I like this idea a lot.  At my last job I worked on a tool called TrackBack
that automatically backed up files on every save and had a nifty restore
feature.  Towards the end of my time at that job I was tasked to write a
timeline view.  I implemented it as a slider with qgv showing a bar graph of
number of lines changed between each revision, it was not quite what the
boss expected (or not as usable as he wanted or something) so the idea was
dropped.  It looked basically like that zfs time slider Hans pointed out,
but had a bit more data to show visually (so one could see where the big
changes took place easily at a glance and view those revisions directly).

I think whatever is done here the usability folks should be involved,
showing time is not exactly the most intuitive thing to design in my
experience.

just my 2c,
Jeremy