focus tracking

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Mon Jun 28 02:07:50 BST 2010

Jos,

Answers are inline.

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 4:28 AM, Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sunday 27 June 2010 12:27:48 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > Dear friends,
> >
> > At LinuxTag we were approached with some questions concerning
> accessability. Among other things, it was about screen reader support and
> zooming.

Screen reader support in qt and kde is not quite there yet unfortunately.
There is a bridge for qt accessibility to at-spi2 which will be what gnome 3
uses, is D-Bus based, and should be workable, but it's not quite complete.
Once that is working completely however, all Qt and KDE applications should
be accessible to screen readers such as orca.  On the windows and mac
platforms our stuff should be accessible to screen readers on those
platforms already.

> KMag can zoom in nicely, but does not follow the focus of the cursor (only
the mouse). This is a major issue. Does anyone know if it is possible to let
it follow the cursor?

It is wanted that it follow the text cursor?  I don't think that would be
too hard but I doubt it's in there already.

regards,
Jeremy

P.S. we will have an accessibility BoF at akademy and I'm hoping any
interested parties will be there.  Especially the simon developer(s) and if
the schmidt's make it to akademy it will be good to meet them and get their
feedback on the state of things also.

> The same question for the KWin full-screen zoom plugin: it only focusses
on the mouse, not the cursor, hence you can not track what you're typing.
Can we solve this somehow?

> Any input very welcome, this is a rather important blocker for some
deployments, esp in governments.

> Cheers,
> Jos

And an additional question: