Oxygen's new window-move feature fatal for KJumpingCube game

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 13:57:28 BST 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 17 June 2010 10:34:31 am Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:
>
> Your explanation of the problems involved in implementing the
> new window-move feature in a general way is extremely interesting,
> but it begs some important questions.  Why is the feature necessary
> and is its benefit worth the possible disruption to existing applications
> and the extra work for their maintainers and end users?

Ian, I think this is a rhethorical question.

I feel it is nice to experiment with this kind of things, but this
"solution" seem to be risky, we have a working alternative (alt+drag
already moves the window) and it is implemented in a "style" which
should be about look, not behavior.

I think at least part of the problem stems from the effort to do
everything from within the style. This is a feature which is
orthogonal to the look; if it is useful it is useful for any window
regardless of widget or window style. So it should be implemented as a
window manager feature, not a style feature.

And to be on the safe side, it should be off by default, at least in
the first iteration.

--
Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams