KXMLGUI - User definable toolbars and actions

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Mon Jun 14 15:15:54 BST 2010

Hello!

I intend to port the Quanta3 feature for user definable toolbars properly to
KDE4 and thought that this should actually be a KDELibs core feature.

Would there be anything against adding a "new toolbar" feature to the
'ConfigureToolbars' dialog? There _all_ available actions of the
KActionCollection should be listed, contrary to the toolbars defined by the
application's UI.rc files.

Is there anything from the KXMLGUI standpoint that would speak against it?
David Faure, I get that you are the one who knows the most about it?

We want such a feature to make it possible for users to have custom actions
(e.g. to insert snippets, execute scripts, ...) in toolbars.

Actually the latter is also a part that I don't quite understand on how to
implement properly using KXMLGUI. To my current understanding, I need to
register all available actions to KXMLGUI with the ui.rc file beforehand, i.e.
I cannot do that at runtime. Is that correct? Could that be changed?

In KDevelop we already have at least one point where we don't use KXMLGUI but
plain KShortcutWidget & KConfig to assign shortcuts to toolviews (there can be
an arbitrary amount of those).

Bye
--
Milian Wolff