Open Printing Common Print Dialog

John Layt john at layt.net
Mon Jun 7 17:15:53 BST 2010

On Thursday 03 Jun 2010 18:48:20 you wrote:
> Hal Engel sent a message using the contact form at
> http://www.layt.net/john/contact.
>
> John,
>
> There is a possibility that I may be working on the Qt version of the Open
> Printing Common Print Dialog in the coming months and I have been asked to
> locate contacts with the KDE project and Nokia to try to coordinate the up
> coming effort.  The intention is to have working GTK and Qt dialogs by the
> end of this year.
>
> I know that you have worked on printing related stuff for KDE in the past.
> If you are not the correct person to contact could you pass this on to the
> correct person(s).
>
> Thank You,
>
> Hal Engel

[cc: the KDE e.V. (our governing body) and kde-core-devel mailing lists as an
FYI, any further discussion should take place on kde-print-devel]

[For background see
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/commonprintingdialog]

Hi Hal,

Yes, I am still the de-facto contact for KDE print releated stuff, for my
sins.  I've done some work on patches to improve the Qt print dialog and print
system, but progress is slow so any new initiatives are welcome :-)

I'd be happy to help out with coordinating the effort, but there's a lot of
different areas of KDE I'd need to consult to be sure we get the right
solution.  To be blunt I think it will be challenging to make our end-of-year
release in KDE, our feature freeze date for KDE SC 4.6 is November 11, by
which time we would need a complete solution that we can make a API/BIC
guarantee on.  A Technology Preview might be a better goal for SC 4.6.

We have our annual conference (http://akademy.kde.org/) coming up in a months
time, which would be a great chance to grab all the necessary people to
discuss things, so it would be good to have some kind of idea of what is
needed before then.  Would someone from OpenPrinting be able to attend during
the hack week to discuss the plans from a technical view?

While I'm generally in favour of the concept, last time I briefly investigated
it there were a number of obvious points I wanted to understand better, and
that I expect will concern the Qt guys too.

Where will the code reside: in OpenPrinting, in Qt, in KDE, or somewhere else?
How much is shared code and how much desktop specific?  Who will be
responsible for the ongoing maintenance?  And how will differences between the
platforms be resolved?  We have a friendly relationship with Gnome on cross-
desktop efforts, but our different visions sometimes makes agreement
difficult.

All KDE/Qt apps are coded to do push-printing, i.e. call the dialog then paint
the document according to the result.  Every app would need to be adapted to
pull-printing which could be a lot of work, but I assume there's a fall-back
push mode that we could use as a stepping stone?

We need cross-platform printing, i.e. support for Windows and OSX as well as
CUPS/LPR.  As I doubt this will be provided by the common dialog then we may
need to maintain two sets of printing code in each app for push and pull
printing.  Any design that simplifies how we do this is more likely to gain
acceptance.  Any solution that is derived from the current Qt print system
classes would be the preferred choice.

That's just off the top of my head, there's a lot to be worked through both
technical and community, but I hope we can come up with the quality solution
the free desktop deserves.

All further discussions should probably take place on the kde-print-devel
mailing list, you can join at https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-print-
devel

Cheers!

John.