The art of setting text to KStatusNotifierItem

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 2 18:57:35 BST 2010

On June 1, 2010, Andriy Rysin wrote:
> 1. Allow setting text to KStatusNotifierItem (and let it deal with picking
> appropriate font size, color etc) - architecturally nice solution and very
> nice for the client app, but keyboard layout indicator being the only
> customer for this I don't see this implemented (unfortunately for me)

it pushes the problem elsewhere, albeit where it can be solved once: into the
system tray visualization. the text would still need to be halo'd.

my biggest concern is that we would end up with texts in various icons and
we'd have a nasty jungle of icons and text that looks horrible and destroys
any chance of spacing out an iconic representation nicely. (see the changes
for the battery plasmoid in 4.5 when on a panel, for instance)

> 2. Drawing text halo, e.g black text with white halo - I tried quickly and
> could not find with a quick and reliable way to get the nice text: if you

look in kdelibs/plasma/paintutils.[h|cpp] and feel free to steal the code for
shadowText(...)

> 3. "Cheat" by finding out (somehow) how to get the systray background and
> just set the text color to be "opposite"

impossible, since as Thomas noted you could be on a random wallpaper. remember
that the system tray isn't even guaranteed to be in a panel these days ... it
can sit quite happily on the desktop or in a dashboard.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se