RFC: On-demand package installation API in kdelibs

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 23:11:49 BST 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:55 PM, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:

>  Or we had a problem with Nepomuk in openSUSE 11.2 - we decided to turn it off
> by default and not even include the dependencies in the default installation
> or the liveCD (since they took some space). We rather quickly ended up with
> bugreports from users who tried to enable Nepomuk, got just a (not very good
> IIRC) error message and didn't realize they had to install additional
> packages to get it to work.

a thing that would come natural to me for it to use is if you try to
open some weird file format from dolphin, no viewer/editors installed
but there are available in the repositories.
this could be a quite common situation (i don't expect to have things
for rarely used files installed by default), and save significant
hassle of googling what on earth can open this kind of file.

Cheers,
Marco Martin