RFC: On-demand package installation API in kdelibs

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Thu Jul 29 17:32:49 BST 2010

On Thursday 29 July 2010 18:25:12 Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2010-07-29, John Tapsell <johnflux at gmail.com> wrote:
> > - K3B needs many optional packages, like cdrecord, md5sum, etc
>
> I wouldn't call a package like wodim (or cdrecord for the schilyists) a
> optional package for k3b
>
> just like I_wouldn't consider
>
> > - Kile needs many optional packages like latex, etc
>
> latex a optional package for kile.

I agree here.  Using the API for such dependencies would indeed be abusing it,
in particular when combined with an implementation that pops up password
dialogs, which would teach the user to click through them.

Maybe we should really compile a list next, and decide in which cases it could
make sense to connect to package installation systems and in which not.

Ciao,
  Hans