RFC: On-demand package installation API in kdelibs

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Jul 29 16:56:50 BST 2010

On Thursday 29 of July 2010, dantti85-dev at yahoo.com.br wrote:
> Weird nobody said a word about what I posted...
> so what about just using PackageKit interface?

 Because maybe it should be you saying something about it :) ?

> If your app is in gnome it will use the gnome packagekit
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/sysadmin/kpackagekit/SmartIcon/org.f
>reedesktop.PackageKit.xml?revision=1055286&view=markup

 Could you elaborate a bit more on suitability for the task? The only real
experience with PackageKit I have is by using KUpdateApplet, the openSUSE
tool for checking and installing updates, and it can be summed up as, to put
it bluntly, 'PackageKit sucks'. KUpdateApplet hasn't seen any development
besides maintenance for several last openSUSE releases, yet there are
regressions every single release (otherwise KUpdateApplet probably wouldn't
even need the maintenance). IIRC the KUpdateApplet maintainer mentioned that
PackageKit changes more often than the things it abstracts, which is pathetic
for an abstraction layer and IMO a showstopper for KDE usage. It also seemed
pretty over-engineered when I had to help with an urgent KUpdateApplet bugfix
once. Finally, how widely available is it actually?

> Additionally to this interface you can create catalog
> files which when you issue KPackageKit it
> parses it and reads the packages that are suited to
> your distro.
>
> I think instead of creating new API I could write
> some kde developer pages explaining how to use it.

 The point of this API is to provide simple means for checking and installing
components if necessary, and D-Bus interface is not that. One of the
implementations of the API could use it though.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer
 l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org