RFC: On-demand package installation API in kdelibs

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Jul 29 13:58:23 BST 2010

On Thursday, 2010-07-29, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Thursday 29 of July 2010, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 2010-07-28, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > >  So the idea is to provide simple API in the form of 'bool
> > >
> > > tryToEnsureInstalled{MimeType|Binary|Whatever}( QString name )'.
> > > Various KDE code will call it when it finds out something is missing
> > > and maybe the call solves the problem.
> >
> > While I like the idea of making it easy for developers to incorporate
> > such a feature, I am afraid that this stile of API is simplified to
> > much.
> >
> > Installing things, especially when potentially involving  downloading, is
> > inherently asynchronous.
> > So such an easy method either returns immediately and provides some kind
> > of status signalling or it uses nested event loops.
>
>  Nested loops. Just like e.g. KMessageBox does, so there is nothing
> inherently wrong with it. And there are many cases where it's much simpler
> to just block on the call and wait for the situation to be handled before
> proceeding.

Sure, but (a) there is trend away from blocking message boxed towards notify
and continue and (b) developers are usually aware of the ongoing event loop
processing with modal dialogs.

It is always possible to "block" an asynchronous call by doing a nested
eventloop manually, but it is impossible to unblock a nested eventloop or even
know that one is being used without looking into the code.

A bit following "principle of least surprise", applications using other
eventloop driven operations like socket I/O will get unexpected re-entrancy
despite being a single threaded application.

Does the current implementation handle multiple invocations?
E.g. KMail calling it to install something and while it is
downloading/installing a signed message arrives an KMail calls it again to
check/install GPG

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring