RFC: On-demand package installation API in kdelibs

Martin Sandsmark martin.sandsmark at kde.org
Wed Jul 28 21:19:51 BST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:10:22PM +0200, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> There is an easy way to fix that problem. Fedora illustrated it, but
> had to revert: don't ask for the password if you want to install from a
> trusted repository. This is a perfect example why Fedora was right on it. We
> all see that we need and want that functionality and we are discussing to
> not do it, because it could be used by $BADGUY to trick $STUPIDUSER in
> typing their password in $WINDOW. So if we minimize the cases where the
> password is entered, the risk decreases. But that's quite off-topic to the
> discussion, hmm thinking about it, protecting stupid users from being stupid
> is also offtopic.

I disagree that it was the easiest and best solution. The easiest and best
solution is to simply tell the user what is missing, and ask him to manually
install it through the normal package manager ('Please install "Extra codecs
for KDE" to play these files.').

--
Martin Sandsmark
IT-Komiteen, Samfundet