RFC: On-demand package installation API in kdelibs

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Wed Jul 28 17:17:13 BST 2010

On 2010-07-28, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
>  I'd like to add API somewhere to kdelibs that would make it easy for
> applications to install additional packages if they find out some
> functionality is missing. The 11.3 release of openSUSE already has this
> feature, you can read about it at [1].

I am really against this kind of features.  Random applications should
not ask to install other applications.

Installing applications usually requires priviledged access, and just because a
user starts amarok, 'stuff' shouldn't request priviledged access.

It is okay to just gently say "You requested to do something, which
currently can't be done with $app, please go to package manager and
install $application|$plugin",
but any magic to try to install it should not happen.

magic that installs random things, and magic that randomly pops up
asking for priviledged access is what they do in redmond OS, and not
something we should have here, or in any way support the creation of.

/Sune