Opposition to removing old KWin themes?

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Tue Jul 27 10:36:15 BST 2010

On 2010-07-27, Ryan Rix <ry at n.rix.si> wrote:
> --nextPart1479901.1coHzoFMlS
>
> On Tue 27 July 2010 00:04:47 Sune Vuorela wrote:
>> Both are compiled code, and that should not be shipped over GHNS.
>
> Good bye applets on kde-look? Yes, most of them are scripted now, but many=
>=20
> *are* compiled code still.
>
> Not saying you arne't right, but just saying that more compiled stuff goes=
>=20
> over GHNS than you think :)

yes. also good bye applets on kde-look, at least to be distributed over
GHNS.

There should not be distributed compiled code thru GHNS, as it will lead
to various hard-to-trace segfaults and stuff.
it is by sheer luck if two linux distributions is actually binary
compatible (and source based distros like gentoo might even not be
binary compatible with each others). (Different compiler arguments can
do this)
There might also be too many mismatches between what's being built
against, and what being run agaisnt.
And then of course the whole 'architecture specific things', like trying
to run mipsel/linux applets on hppa/linux.

The alternative is 'compile on the run', which ttbomk, the KNewStuff
code doesn't support (and I also don't think it should)

If we are having *compiled* code distributed thru GHNS, we should work
hard to get it disabled. It will only lead to grief.

/Sune