Opposition to removing old KWin themes?

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 19:25:36 BST 2010

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Aaron Peterson
>>> vision problems and slow computers. I personally
>>> think that the gradient themes are inelegant.
>
> Not exactly, but nature is cruel and it leaves me unable to tolerate
> shading and background images.

that's what a single "low performance" theme or third party ones are for.

>> are doing great, but if we want to become meaningful,  our intangible message
>> needs to be worked on and that means that it needs to be consistent all over
>
> I don't think this is a consistency issue, however it is an issue as
> you have pointed out, that our current method does not work well for
> the people who have many themes installed.

yep, some categorization is needed

> Can we start a list of everything that is inconsistant on techbase and
> or add a flag to bugzilla?
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/consistency
>
>> the 2% user base to find what they need.
>
> As we grow bigger, that number goes down. 1percent of all users will
> be too many to ignore

but as many more users we get many more contrasting ideas we get on
how things should be, so we will never be able to make everyone happy.
two things have to be kept in mind:
-won't be possible to make everyone happy, somebody will always have
to be left out
-solutions made to displease the less amount of people are always
weak, without personality and makes nobody really happy
-who makes the decision has to be somebody that either does the work
and/or has a clear design goal in mind, not based on popuplar demand

> KDE is already pretty easy to use, trick is to add business features
> without breaking everything.
>

>> I care about options 2 just that I think that flat option lists have problems
> Yes, you are right, when there are 60 themes, and probably a
> significant enough amount.
>
>> and that if most of those options are to 90% users ugly we make a statement
>> about ourself's and I don't like that statement.
> (Don't think it's anywhere 90percent of people who care about an extra
> option being there, )

but gives an overall impression of old leftovers, overload of useless
options that translates in the "bloated KDE" meme, and bad reviews
overlall, and is something that i really care :)

Cheers,
Marco Martin