Inclusion of simon in kde-accessibility

Tom Albers toma at kde.org
Tue Jul 20 23:16:52 BST 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 22:54:16 +0200 (CEST), <grasch at simon-listens.org>
wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org>
>> wrote:
>>> A Dilluns, 19 de juliol de 2010, Peter Grasch va escriure:

>>> Personally i'm not a fan of having non primary dumps of code in the
>>> repo since i know several people that do roaming fixes in the KDE repo
>>> and if they do that fix in code that is just a dump the fix is lost.
>>>
>>> AFAIR we had a rule that said that KDE repo should be the primary
>>> development plaftorm for KDE software but i've been unable to find if
>>> in techbase.
>>>
>>> I'd like others to comment on this.
>>>
>>> Albert
>>>

>> I think this is what you are referring to:
>>
>> http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/SVN_Guidelines#Stage_1:_The_start
>>
>> "It is not meant as a backup area, so you should not develop your
>> application somewhere else and only sync the changes now and then to
>> KDE's repository. "
>
> Well I wasn't talking about doing the development outside of the KDE
> repository...
> If it were to be possible to create an extragear/accessibility
repository
> on git.kde.org where simon could move to (which is what I tried to
propose
> in my previous mail) then there would be basically two approaches as I
see
> it:
>
> Approach A
>
> 1.) Move from SF Git to KDE SVN for the review process
> 2.) Move from KDE SVN to extragear Git for further development
>
> Approach B
>
> 1.) Mirror the SF Git on KDE SVN for the review process
> 2.) Move from SF Git to extragear Git for further development
>
> IMHO option B seems much easier considering that the review process -
> accepted or rejected - shouldn't take longer than a couple of weeks if I
> am not mistaken.
>
> I would think that keeping these two repos in that short period of time
> would work better than moving from git to svn and back.
>
> Moving back to SVN permanently won't work for us because we might need
> specific features urgently for our running research projects. We
> accommodate this by creating a new Git branch to implement the missing
> feature without affecting e.g. possible freezes (they are then merged
back
> when trunk re-opens).
>
> This, btw, was also the reason why I have not been sure whether to apply
> for extragear or not in the first place but after talking to Jeremy
> Whiting in #kde-accessibility he said that these branches would be ok -
> for him at least - which is why I applied to be included in the
> accessibility module instead of extragear.
>
> But as these branches would be hard to handle in SVN and the kde
> accessibility module is staying on SVN for now this is not really an
> option anyway.
> Sorry for any confusion this might have introduced.

> [...]

Currently git.kde.org is in development. We still need a bit to get
everything in order before we accept any new projects. Sorry, but you
caught us (KDE) on probably the worst possible time for this request. If
you can hang on a bit, we (KDE sysadmin) will announce the presence of
git,kde.org, then we will happily help to migrate you.

Best,
--
Tom Albers
KDE Sysadmin