seeking mentor. More columns in Dolphin,

Aaron Peterson myusualnickname at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 02:03:15 BST 2010

Hiya,

 I am seeking a mentor to help me get into kde development.

I am very excited as I now have a 4.5 branch development environment
partially set up, and I read a few C++ tutorials, followed a QT
tutorial... and have been browsing websvn.

I would like to be able to add columns to dolphin's details view.

These files seem important:
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/4.5/kdelibs/kfile/kdiroperatordetailview.cpp?view=markup

http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/4.5/kdelibs/kfile/kdiroperatordetailview.cpp?view=markup
approx line 662

Specifically, I want to add image properties, like height and width,
md5sum.  Also I would like to be able to make the selection indicator
be in it's own column, rather than overlap the icon (however, hacking
at the icon level would work better)

Basically, I would like to make it very easy to add columns to a
detailsview. and I think the changes  would be in Kio, as a child of
kdirmodel, but I would like to know more.

more hopes
 [I would also like to make other ways to sort files, based on last4
digits of filename and other things that I hacked into windows
explorer to make my job easier] [ This would also be helpful for
koffice, where items can be sorted by contents, author, and other
properties]

Also  I would like experiment with  a toggle switch to change between
selection and execution modes. (click a button to make it so KDE
doesn't try to execute or open anything in a certain directory).

I also want to work with accessibility features.