Crashes on closing applications

Rolf Eike Beer kde at opensource.sf-tec.de
Sun Jul 11 15:25:39 BST 2010

Thomas Lübking wrote:
> Am Sunday 11 July 2010 schrieb Rolf Eike Beer:
> > I just wonder why this is libstdc++-v3, openSuSE 11.2 uses gcc 4.4 by
> > default?
>
> I don't think the libstdc++ version ever changed since gcc3 (and indeed,
> it's -v3 on gcc 4.5 as well)
>
> The whole thing looks quite like a memory ("0x6" ...) corruption, but
> testing
>
> gcc -O[n] std_string_seg.cpp -lstdc++ -o std_string_seg | n = 0-3
>
> on the -plain std::string, no KDE- attachment doesn't fail at all
> (i however don't know how -optimized- my libstdc++ was compiled)
>
> So this is either in the particular OpenSuSE libstdc++ or an overflow in
> some KDE lib.
>
> I also attached a binary, compiled and linked on arch, 32bit x86, gcc4.5
> prerelease, -O2, lisbstdc++.so.6.0.14 - maybe test it with gdb

It's not that trivial, otherwise I think it would have been long solved. For
example if you start dolphin and immediately close it afterwards the crash
does not happen. If you do some work before closing it it will crash.

I also suspect not the string object itself be the problem, but the memory
within that (i.e. the string data). We see those crashes with all string
objects being on the stack as I suspect the report from that google search
does too.

And once again: "delete 0" is fine but must return immediately. In the
backtrace it doesn't but tries to dereference something. Although I find that
offset 0x6 suspicious, I would have expected a multiple of 4 for any offsets
holding a pointer.

Eike