Oxygen's new window-move feature fatal for KJumpingCube game

Dawit A adawit at kde.org
Sun Jul 4 14:09:45 BST 2010

On Sunday, July 04, 2010 05:10:19 Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:
> On Saturday 03 July 2010 23:01:04 Dawit A wrote:
> > Another corner case is  happens when attempting to slide a disabled
> > slider widget. IMHO, that should not cause this feature to be activated
> > because it is completely unexpected. Additionally, it feels very
> > unnatural to me that the window is resized and moved because of this
> > feature when the window is already in maximized mode.
> >
> > Anyhow, I would at least like to have a config option (does not have to
> > be a GUI) to disable this feature. It is rather annoying to
> > "accidentally" move a window when you actually did not mean to!
>
> There is a (somewhat hidden) option to do the above.
> Type oxygen-settings in either konsole and krunner. The option is on the
> first page (Windows' drag mode).

Great. Thanks...

> As for dragging from disabled widgets, this was a feature originally absent
> from the code but then requested by some people. And it actually make sense
> a least programatically since all disabled widgets do pass their mouse
> press/move events to their parents (and ultimately their main window).

It might make sense programatically, but does it make sense functionally ?
Specially as a default ?? I doubt most people that attempt to drag a slider
widget, regardless of its state, expect their action to move the Window. The
first time this happened to me I personally thought I had pressed the ALT
button before dragging the widget. When it happened again and again, I thought
something was broken in kwin and was about to open a bug report when I run
into this thread.

Anyhow, it is really unexpected and unnatural behavior to me, specially in
light of the fact that ALT+ LMB drag allows you to do exactly what this
feature does without causing the particular problems associated with this
feature.

Regards,
Dawit A.