Moving the proxy model test suite to kdesupport?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Jul 3 16:02:07 BST 2010

On 03.07.10 15:13:08, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The test suite for proxy models is growing inside
> kdelibs/kdeui/tests/proxymodeltestsuite.
>
> The unit tests for kselectionproxymodel and kdescendantsproxymodel depend on
> the test suite library.
>
> Last week I added a ModelEventLogger which is useful for debugging model or
> proxy using applications, but as it is hidden inside kdeui/tests, the only
> way to use the logger is to hack the CMakeLists to find the library and
> headers.
>
> I was thinking of moving the already self-contained proxymodeltestsuite
> library into kdesupport.

Why not make it an installed part of kdelibs?

> The library would be a build-time dependency for kdelibs and is needed only
> when tests are being built.

Are you planning to maintain it and do regular releases (at least for
new KDE releases)?

> The disadvantage is that people wishing to build kdelibs tests would need to
> build this external dependency. The advantage is that people hitting an
> assert in kmail etc would just need to install the library from a well known
> location, include the header and attach the logger. The library would not
> need to be packaged or versioned as far as I'm concerned.

It has to, if it should be a proper library and a build dependency, that
is it has to have a version and a soversion so that if you break BC in
it you can let users know about this by changing the soversion. Same
goes for doing releases, you'll have to so distro's have something to
package.

> The proxymodeltestsuite library depends on Qt and my Grantlee
> templating system.

So actually there'd be 2 new dependencies, the test (why the hell do I
need a test library to build kdelibs?) and that templating system (which
is not available as package at least in debian currently, though thats
not an immediate problem as there's enough time until kde4.6).

Andreas

--
You will be singled out for promotion in your work.