[KDE Usability] Review Request: Add "Open With" actions to KFileDialog context menu [via KDirOperator]

Diego Moya turingt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 11:24:51 GMT 2010

On 29 January 2010 11:20, Harsh J wrote:
>> Aaron Seigo wrote:
>>     "One could wonder if the file dialog really needs to have "open with" menu items."
>>
>>     agreed; what exactly are the use cases for this? right now, i don't see any.
>
> I s'pose it could be helpful to quickly open a file in an alternate program (something like the mini-file-manager) without having to hunt it back down in a proper file manager, to check.

The problem here is caused by forcing the user to hunt a known
location in a different program. If that information could be reused,
you wouldn't need to turn the "open with" dialog into a complete file
manager.

I propose a button to in the "open with" dialog  that does "open this
folder in the file manager". This way, you could remove from the
"open" dialog all that redundant functionality - it would always be
one click away.