New KGraphicsSignalPlotter class

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jan 28 08:08:40 GMT 2010

On January 27, 2010, John Tapsell wrote:
> avoid this.  I have put a lot of work into KSIgnalPlotter to make it
> faster and better, and it would be nice for the plasma widget to
> benefit from this.

sounds good

> I want to reduce this plasma widget to a bare
> shell that just inherits KGraphicsSignalPlotter and adds on the few
> plasma specifics bits (using theme colors mostly.  Maybe also the SVG
> code)

we can't change what it inherits. it is a QGraphicsWidget, and that has to
stay that way for API compatibility reasons.

the way to go about this depends on whether KGraphicSignalPlotter has a very
different API from Plasma::SignalPlotter or not. if the API is the same (or
close enough) then the job should be easy:

Plasma::SignalPlotter can internally have a KGraphicsSignalPlotter as a child
in a QLinearLayout and pass on all the API calls to it.

if the API is significantly different (making the "passing on API calls" bit
infeasible) then we'll have to introduce a new class. obviously, i'd prefer
avoiding that :)

p.s. this is not the "best" list for discussing plasma API; plasma-
devel at kde.org is a bit more topical, but we can discuss it here if you prefer
:)

--
Aaron J. Seigo