Static plugins and enable final

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 22:30:17 GMT 2010

On Monday 25 January 2010 23:13:03 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Static plugins is discouraged.
>
> Long-term solution is to get rid of them.
>
> Static plugins is for applications built with static Qt. Since Qt is
>  static, it can't load a plugin that links to Qt. So the plugins are built
>  as a static libraries, which are linked to the target program.
>
> Static plugins were not meant for dynamic Qt, much less for dynamic
>  libraries.
>
> So please get rid of them, either by removing the plugin system and simply
> making the code part of the library, or by making it an actual plugin (an
>  .so file) that is loaded at run-time.

I see. I'd prefer to keep the plugin system alive. What would you advise,
using dynamic qt plugins or going straight with KService? My situation is
that, as you can imagine, I have a single plugin to load, so I think it would
be better to go with the first.

> In the mean time, what's wrong with the enable-final situation? Why is it a
> problem? What's the compile error?

Simply that the import was disabled if KDE_ENABLE_FINAL was set, basically not
might affect compilation.

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer