kmix PulseAudio support

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jan 6 23:32:07 GMT 2010

'Twas brillig, and Michael Jansen at 06/01/10 20:03 did gyre and gimble:
> On Wednesday 06 January 2010 11:24:04 Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After improving Phonon integration I've been digging through the kmix
>> code to try and add proper PulseAudio support.
>>
>> I now have a set of patches that add this support and can commit it to
>> trunk anytime people approve. I'm not 100% sure of trunk status due to
>> 4.4 being ready soon.
>>
>> So can I commit?
>>
>> I have two remaining issues that I do not think are show stoppers:
>>  1. Everytime a new device shows up a new Global Shortcut dialog
>> appears. I don't think this is any different to ALSA but.... as I now
>> have per-app volume control, this dialog is also shown everytime a new
>> application plays sound. It only happens once, but it could still be
>> considered annoying by some.
>
> What does that mean? Do you mean the information that application xyz just registered a new global
> shortcut? If yes, for what is that shortcut?

This code is already there but it seems that in kmix whenever a new
audio device is found it allows you to assign a particular shortcut for
muting or inc/dec'ing the volume on it. Not that I'm putting a lot more
sliders into kmix this happens more often.

I think the dialogs are actually knotify passive popups so it's not
really as big a deal as I thought initially.

I only saw the UI I saw due to notify-osd which shows ugly dialogs. I've
ranted about this in another reply and it's rather off topic so I wont
dwell :)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie