[KDE Usability] On the future of the menubar

Markus kamikazow at web.de
Fri Feb 26 21:59:59 GMT 2010

Am Freitag 26 Februar 2010 22:34:05 schrieb Aurélien Gâteau:

> We can also imagine having a global setting where the user would be able
> to say "I want all my applications to use menu buttons instead of menu
> bars", which would be very useful for netbooks. If the application
> provided a xmlgui definition for a menu button, this menu would be used,
> otherwise it would fall back to representing the whole menu hierarchy
> behind the menu button, like the Tiny Menu Firefox extension does.
>
> What do you think of this?

Sounds great. If designed with enough care, one GUI could automatically not
only adapt to desktops and netbooks, but also to smartphones.
Another aspect would be that apps that currently completely ignore desktop
configurations with a global menu bar (like Rekonq) would work with Mac OS X
or Bespin theme's Xbar.

Markus