Rekonq default

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Sat Feb 20 23:39:14 GMT 2010

On Saturday 20 February 2010, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> 1. userinterface
> the GUI of rekonq is more optimized for webbrowsing. it is simpler and more
> to the point of using the web. But also has advanced features like the
> speed dial or previews for tabs. I think it has a better GUI for most
> users compared with konqueror

Konqueror has a feature called profiles. This is not used enough. Using
profiles you can change the behaviour and look of konqueror without writing a
new application from scratch. Maybe, we should get this hooked up to get-new-
stuff.

> 2. rendering engine
> rekonq is using webkit which renders modern websites better than khtml.
> webkit is moving forward really fast at the moment. It is in fact the
> leading rendering engine if you look at HTML5 compliance or speed. We
> should benefit from that.

Konqueror has no rendering engine, it uses kparts and can use webkit as well
as khtml. Right now khtml is still working better than webkitpart on most
pages, but webkitpart is improving very fast at the moment. Integration will
never reach the same level though.

> So rekonq is a better browser for 80% of our users and should be default
> therefore.

No, it isn't.

`Allan