Rekonq default

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Feb 20 17:17:14 GMT 2010

On February 20, 2010, Eike Hein wrote:
> On 02/20/2010 03:43 PM, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> > 1. userinterface
> > the GUI of rekonq is more optimized for webbrowsing. it is simpler and
> > more to the point of using the web. But also has advanced features like
> > the speed dial or previews for tabs. I think it has a better GUI for
> > most users compared with konqueror
>
> Its user interface also strays far from the path established
> by our other standard applications and the HIG. You're going
> to have to make a good case for why our interface standards
> are not supposed to apply to our default web browser.

the lack of a menu bar, or the lack of a status bar?

> > What do you think?
>
> I think that web browsers are hard. Web browsers have a
> very long tail of edge cases they need to handle well,
> and I'm not talking about the rendering engine. Accumu-

yes...

> that we shouldn't throw away. Not to mention the many
> features Konqueror currently has that Rekonq doesn't
> have, many of which would likely have to be added back
> on user demand down the line - it's a duplication of
> effort.

done well, the same thing that has benefited KDE's file management progress
can happen here: konqi and rekonq could re-use code for core browser features
between the two apps.

> If we're unhappy with Konqueror's state, then we should
> renew our investment of time and effort in Konqueror
> and shape it into what we need it to be.

you can't turn a swiss army knife into a chef's knife. nor would you want to.
you can't turn a chef's knife into a swiss army knife either. nor would you
want to.

it's not whether konqueror is good enough, imho, it's about the fundamental
design goals. both konqueror's and rekonq's are valid, imho, as they are for
different use cases. no amount of working on konqueror will change that
without pissing off everyone who relies on konqueror's design.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se