KInfoCenter

David Hubner hubnerd at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 17 21:19:25 GMT 2010

On 17/02/2010 20:50, Parker Coates wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:59, David Hubner wrote:

>>> Just my personal opinion,
>>> I don't like the General/Advanced division.
>>> A lot of the "General" KCMs are really "advanced".
>>> The views are just divided in groups and (again, IMHO) that's enough.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>

>> It depends how you define the wording I guess, I see general and advanced
>> tabs as general being frequently used and advanced being KCMs that are
>> hardly used but can are there if you need to tweak a little more or need
>> more information.
>>
>> Maybe different set of wording for the divisions, General and Extra?
>>
>> The "Extra" Kcm's will not exactly be a division, just an toggle menu option
>> that will show the extra tabs.
>
> My personal thoughts are that such a division doesn't really make
> sense for KInfoCenter. Unlike SystemSettings which has to cater to
> both novice users and system administrators, I think KInfoCenter
> provides technical information and that's what its users expect.
> Splitting that information into two categories based on a somewhat
> subjective difference seems unnecessary.
>
> I think a more useful focus would be to try to ensure that the user is
> helpfully guided to the info he's looking for and not stumbling around
> through those more "advanced" areas.
>
> Just my thoughts,
>
> Parker

Umm, you may have a point :) Maybe keeping the itemview at the side and
replacing it with TreeItemWidget to give it a category listing as follows:

- Summary
- Device Information
   - Device Viewer
   - Usb Devices
   - IEEE 1394
- Motherboard Information (Different name?)
   - PCI
   - DMA Channels
   - Interrupts
   - IO Ports
   - SCSI
   - Memory
- Network Information
   - Nic Information
   - Samaba
- XServer Information
   - XServer
   - OpenGL
- Profiling
   - Stuff to be thought of

This would allow consolidation into major categories and allow quick
access to all.

Thanks
David Hubner