Advice needed on BIC

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 15 11:28:19 GMT 2010

On Tuesday 14 December 2010 19:20:48 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 14, 2010, John Layt wrote:
> > Now, I've introduced some private functions in the 4.5. and 4.6 that may
>
> that's the problem right there, really: never, ever introduce private
> functions in public libraries. that's what we have dptrs for: add them to
> the private class and access them there from the public class'
> implementation.

Fair point :-)  In my defense they started life as public but went private
when I realised there was no immediate need for them to be public.  I'll move
them to the d then.

> > "[You can] remove private non-virtual functions if they are not called by
> > any inline functions (and have never been)."
>
> nobody should be using private functions, so it becomes a moot point. at
> least that's been how we've been dealing with that issue up until now:
> apps that violated private member encapsulation deserve to break. ;)

Well, it's not moot now :-)  Can I fix my boob from 4.5 or is it carved in
stone?  Which is teh correct answer, so I can at least update the page to not
contradict itself.

John.