Advice needed on BIC

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 14 18:12:59 GMT 2010

Hi,

I'm been reading the BIC techbase pages again to make sure the api changes
I've done in 4.6 won't cause problems.

I had always thought it was BIC safe to 'promote' api to less restricted
access levels, however I notice now that this doesn't work under Windows and
so is now considered BIC unsafe:

"[You cannot change] the access rights to some functions or data members, for
example from private to public. With some compilers, this information may be
part of the signature. If you need to make a private function protected or
even public, you have to add a new function that calls the private one."

Now, I've introduced some private functions in the 4.5. and 4.6 that may
eventually be made public, so for the 4.6 ones I'm going to rename them
fooPrivate() or something similar, but I'm wondering about the 4.5 ones, am I
able to rename them too in a BIC safe way?  The reason I ask is the page is
slightly contradictory:

"[You can] remove private non-virtual functions if they are not called by any
inline functions (and have never been)."

versus

"[You cannot] For existing functions of any type ... remove it."

Can someone clarify for me which is correct?

Cheers!

John.