Action icons in menus

Miha Čančula miha.cancula at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 18:02:10 GMT 2010

Dne torek 14 decembra 2010 ob 16:08:42 je David Jarvie napisal(a):
> On Tue, December 14, 2010 2:52 pm, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> >>
> >> IMO, this is a very important drawback. There would then be no easy
> >> way for users who didn't know the keyboard shortcut for these
> >> actions to discover it.
> >
> > Is this really a serious problem? Looking up a shortcut is really easy
> > via Settings->Configure Shortcuts and it's not as if all of our
> > shortcuts where "documented" in some menu anyway.
>
> I doubt if many inexperienced users will know about Settings->Configure
> Shortcuts. Personally, I rely on menus to provide me with the information
> when I want to learn a new shortcut - I wouldn't normally go to the bother
> of looking in Settings unless I felt very motivated. So yes, I think this
> is a significant problem, since it raises the barrier to inexperienced
> users learning shortcuts.
Perhaps showing the shortcut as a part of the tooltip? I know this is getting off-topic, but it's one idea. This could also be beneficial for actions in normal toolbars, which many people use without knowing the shortcut.

I have no solution for DBusMenu, as I don't know how that works. I agree that it is very important that this should works for all menus. Maybe it can be worked around, maybe not.

As some of you said before, we really do memorize positions of actions in menus. For example, Firefox 4 reversed the positions of "Open in New Window" and "Open in New Tab", and I remember having many problems with that. However, is this really necessary? Memorizing always takes some iterations, and we do remember pictures easier and faster.

Regarding consistency, the actions are consistent with the ones in toolbars. I don't see a good reason why menus should be treated completely different, because they're both just containers of actions.