Move kppp away from kdenetwork

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Wed Aug 18 09:27:46 BST 2010

On 2010-08-18, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> * it appears that OpenSuse doesn't install it by default. (at least, it isn=
> 't=20
> on my laptop, and i haven't removed packages...)
>
> * doesn't look like Kubuntu doesn't install it by default
>
> * it looks like Fedora's KDE Spin does install it by default
>
> not sure about others, e.g. Mandriva.

Debian doesn't install kppp by default since around the beginning of
the 4 series, but did in the 3 series. [0]

We have been trying to install a default set of things that is what most
people would use, and have done some selections.

Of those who have chosen[1] to report their package statistics to debian,
   9197 people have libplasma installed
   693  people are actively using kppp [2]
   8277 people have kppp installed.

I'm actually surprised by these numbers.

/Sune

[0] this might skew the numbers quite much in favour of kppp

[1] popularity contest, popcon, is a opt in scheme. some of the raw data
is available at popcon.debian.org

[2] the number of 'votes' on a given package.
    about votes:
    Q) What is considered a 'vote' for a package ?

    A) A computer 'vote' for a package if according to the data provided
       in the report, a program provided or depending on the package was
       used less than thirty days ago. This computation is performed by
       the popcon server.