Move kppp away from kdenetwork

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Wed Aug 18 07:33:09 BST 2010

On Wednesday 18 August 2010, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday, August 16, 2010, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > Remember, that dial-up doesn't only mean 56k modems, but also
> > mobile internet as well. Until not so long ago I used such a
> > connection, using a WCDMA network (was 1 Mbps down, should be
> > higher bandwidth these days).
>
> knetworkmanager as well as its associated plasmoid has a tab for
> "Mobile Broadband". i haven't used it myself, but if it does work
> (afaik it is supposed to) then we already have a solution for this.

I never used it, so I don't know. A very useful feature in kppp was the
traffic/online time measurement, as with many dial-up subscriptions
(including 3G connections) you don't get a flat rate connection, it is
either time or traffic limited (even if limitation "just" means reduction
of speed to a very low bitrate). I know I used this feature of kppp a
lot.
 Anyway, if there is software that duplicates most of its functionality
and it is known to work, it can be removed. If there isn't a full
replacement, why should we remove it?

Andras