Move kppp away from kdenetwork

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 04:26:10 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday, August 16, 2010, Andras Mantia wrote:
>> Remember, that dial-up doesn't only mean 56k modems, but also mobile
>> internet as well. Until not so long ago I used such a connection, using
>> a WCDMA network (was 1 Mbps down, should be higher bandwidth these
>> days).
>
> knetworkmanager as well as its associated plasmoid has a tab for "Mobile
> Broadband". i haven't used it myself, but if it does work (afaik it is
> supposed to) then we already have a solution for this.

Taking a step back for a moment, could networkmanager be a solution
overall to the problem?  I mean, could existing kppp functionality be
ported to networkmanager?  Or at least port over the most essential
bits, kppp could perhaps be moved to extragear to maintain more
advanced functionality.  Of course that is easy to say, finding
someone to do the work may be more difficult.

-Todd