Move kppp away from kdenetwork

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Aug 18 02:50:43 BST 2010

On Sunday, August 15, 2010, Eckhart Wörner wrote:
> I want to open another "slaughtering old stuff" thread, this time it's
> about kppp. :-)

<imho>
it's obvious kppp still has users, and likely a non-negligable absolute number
of them. as a % of our total user base, it seems likely to be a pretty small
global %. for some reagions, it will be a significant %.

kppp is not getting much "love" in the form of development, but that  seems to
be because it basically works for most everyone who wants to use it. so in
this case, active devel is not likely to be a useful parameter to decide.

so let's look at our downstreams for some guidance:

* we know it doesn't work on FreeBSD.

* it appears that OpenSuse doesn't install it by default. (at least, it isn't
on my laptop, and i haven't removed packages...)

* doesn't look like Kubuntu doesn't install it by default

* it looks like Fedora's KDE Spin does install it by default

not sure about others, e.g. Mandriva.

so it appears that a number of our downstreams are opting out of it, some are
accepting our suggestion that it belongs in the default network package. this
suggests that there is perhaps some misalignment between our default
networking package and typical KDE usage.

given that there are good #s of users, however, and that it has an active
maintainer (Harri Porten) it shouldn't be moved to unmaintained status.

a possibility is to move it to extragear. this would make sense if it really
doesn't belong any more, given today's world, as part of the default essential
set of apps for networking. (sort of like how kermit wouldn't really fit that
definition any more.)

the cost of such a move is that new versions would need to be released by
Harri (or whomever else joins him) and distros that do currently ship it by
default would need to adjust their packaging.

finally, it doesn't seem that KPP is really _broken_ in any way, it's just not
very modern.

given that there are users of it, that it doesn't get in the way if you don't
use it, that is (at least nominally?) maintained (as in: someone claims to
maintain it) and that kdenetwork isn't exactly overly large, i'd recommend
keeping it where it is for now.

but as the network management stack in the form of kde network manager
improves, as true dialup becomes less and less prevalent, and if KPP bitrots
further so that it's relevant to fewer platforms it will likely make sense to
move kppp at some point in the future.

iow, all things considered, i think you're a couple / few years too early with
this proposal. it should probably be earmarked for future examination against
the points you presented, though.

again, all:
</imho>

this should also be passed by Urs Wolfer, who is the coordinator for that
module according to:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Release_Team#Module_Coordinators

perhaps he will agree to putting some notes in the module about the state of
the various apps for (re-)examination over time.

p.s.: thanks for keeping an eye on these things!

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se