Move kppp away from kdenetwork

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Mon Aug 16 14:45:32 BST 2010

On Mon, August 16, 2010 1:32 am, Eckhart Wörner wrote:
> in the last years, especially with the first release of the 4 series, we
> removed a lot of things people were actually using. Remember, KDE Software
> is
> used by millions of people, so every feature is used by someone, therefore
> this argument shouldn't count. ;-)

Surely the whole point of including applications is for people to actually
use them. So if a significant number of people use kppp, that *IS* an
argument for keeping it.

> Furthermore, in my eyes the Software Compilation consists of software that
> most people would find useful in their day-to-day desktop experience -
> essential things like a mail program or mini-games. Now at the time of
> writing
> kppp, it certainly belonged into that category, however, time changed
> things,
> and today I don't believe kppp belongs to that category anymore.

If you have a dial-up connection, I'd say that kppp is a much more
essential thing than your example of mini-games. And it's clear from this
thread that there are probably still a good number of dial-up KDE users in
the world. So perhaps you should amend your proposal to remove mini-games
from KDE SC? ;)

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.