Move kppp away from kdenetwork

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Aug 16 13:04:36 BST 2010

On Sunday, 2010-08-15, Eckhart Wörner wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I want to open another "slaughtering old stuff" thread, this time it's
> about kppp. :-)
>
> 1) Mobile broadband today is handled by tools like NetworkManager in a much
> more automated way.

I sometimes find kppp to behave better for mobile broadband than
NetworkManager, e.g. faster on detecting connection loss and re-dialing.

Occasionally I also need it if I need more control over setup options.
E.g. when resuming I sometimes have to re-insert my PCCard UMTS modem and it
gets a new device node. NM doesn't handle that correctly and its UI doesn't
allow to specify a device name.KPPP's UI does.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring