Move kppp away from kdenetwork

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Aug 16 00:11:08 BST 2010

On 15.08.10 23:06:34, Burkhard Lück wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 15. August 2010, um 21:39:16 schrieb Eckhart Wörner:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I want to open another "slaughtering old stuff" thread, this time it's
> > about kppp. :-)
> >
> > 1) Mobile broadband today is handled by tools like NetworkManager in a much
> > more automated way.
> >
> > 2) Plain old dial-up is barely used anymore.
> >
> Sure?
>
> Afaik even in germany there are regions without dsl, so people have to use an
> analog connection (isdn in germany is much more expensive, so a private user
> in germany will have either dsl - if possible - or an analog connection).

Well, actually it wasn't that much more expensive when I last used ISDN.
But apparently ISDN is not offered anymore in Germany (at least not by
Telekom)

> And I guess that in other regions of the world a ppp connection is far more
> needed than in german.

There's also UMTS-Modems out there in areas where DSL is not available
which also usually work with pppd. And there's tv-cable-modems possibly
working similar (never used one of those, maybe its just pure ethernet).

Andreas

--
Another good night not to sleep in a eucalyptus tree.