Move kppp away from kdenetwork

Eckhart Wörner ewoerner at kde.org
Sun Aug 15 20:39:16 BST 2010

Hi everybody,

I want to open another "slaughtering old stuff" thread, this time it's about
kppp. :-)

1) Mobile broadband today is handled by tools like NetworkManager in a much
more automated way.

2) Plain old dial-up is barely used anymore.

3) For plain old dial-up, there is also an alternative: wvdial plasmoid,
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/wvdial+plasmoid?content=101481
The plasmoid seems to have some users and is sometimes even suggested in
forums, in contrast to kppp.

4) Looking at svn, kppp got little to no love in the last few years.

5) I just learnt that beginning with SC 4.4, FreeBSD doesn't even ship kppp
anymore ([21:16:43] <rakuco> it doesn't compile).

Therefore I propose to move kppp out of kdenetwork and into unmaintained stuff.

Eckhart