Review Request: New Kwallet scheme for Khtml user-password form saving (enabling multiple accounts per site)

Eduardo Robles Elvira edulix at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 15:49:20 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Martin Sandsmark
<sandsmark at samfundet.no> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 08:48:03AM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>> otoh, konqueror's current behavior is a royal PITA to use.
>> there should be some hierarchical treatment of urls with automatic
>> propagation of completion data to deeper nested directories (and a
>> manual way to propagate up).
>
> It's not given that they belong to the same page, though. So it will become a
> potential security hole, no?
>

>> in addition (or at least alternatively) there should be a way to link
>> forms into a "cluster", so one doesn't have to re-enter the same
>> credentials into a hundred different pages when they are all connected
>> to the same authentication provider.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here. What is an "authentication provider" in this
> context?

I think he means that if two sites use i.e. Google account
user/password for authentication, you should be able to tell that to
the web browser instead of needing to write the same password again
and again for each web site. Even if the host is completely different.
And if your password changes, then again in those N places. For me,
this seems like a good idea in need of a good secure, and well-thought
UI.

Interestingly, instead of multiple accounts per site which the
proposed patch provides, Ossi is asking for multiple sites per
account. Which is the opposite but actually related: with the patch
proposed by Filip, sites which share the same KUrl::host() will share
the same user accounts, which of course security issues mentioned in
this thread. That's a first approximation, of how to implement this
feature Ossi is proposing. Perhaps what's needed is to face this
problem in a the more generic way to let the user choose which
user/password accounts can be reused in different websites
instead.Probably we should ask the usability people, they might come
up with this wonderful idea about for the UI! =)